Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Switch sessions in SLiM

The ability to choose sessions in SLiM is at present an experimental feature. However, for my purposes, I have found no flaws in its execution.


First, edit the slim.conf file. In Archlinux, it is found at /etc/slim.conf. After "sessions," tab and type in the window managers and desktop environments you have installed. These are merely placeholders; they need not be the name of the binaries. Then, edit your .xinitrc. The sample is easy to follow and worked for me. You must modify the names of the sessions accordingly. Thus, in my case, I replaced xfce4, icewm, wmaker, and blackbox with openbox, kde, kde-openbox, and awesome. In addition, I set openbox as my default session. Now, you can press F1 at the login screen and choose your session!

No comments: